Our January Topic will be Linguistic Reclamation. Join Gendersoup in our FIRST EVER MEETING IN THE CAMBERVILLE AREA in January 2018. We'll be talking about Linguistic Reclamation: how have we reclaimed language in the trans community? What goes into the process of reclaiming words? Why are some words reclaimed and others not? How does the trans community experess solidarity through linguistics, word choices, and word reclamation? How does linguistics give us power as a community or how might it take away our power? To trans linguistics and identity terminology move us forward or confine us? How, when, and why does linguistic evolution happen within the trans community?
Attendence at this event is limited to folks 18+ who identify on the trans spectrum (trans(*), transgender, gender-non-conforming, non-binary, intersex, etc), as non-cisgender, or are gender questioning.
This event is FREE to attendees, but with a SUGGESTED DONATION of $1 per person.
This event is being paid for by generous donations to Gendersoup through it's members. However, our budgeted amount for this event does not cover the suggested donation for the room we are reserving. A dollar or so more per person should be enough to cover the difference. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO PAY, but if you can chip in about a dollar, we would appreciate it. While we can rent the space at a lower rate, we would ideally prefer r to pay the Democracy Center a fair fee and treat them ethically by paying a living wage for their labor.
1. The Democracy Center is partially wheelchair accessible, no accessible bathroom on site. The Mandela, Parks, and Chavez rooms are accessible, but the Library is not. Wheelchair users are welcome to use the accessible restroom at Daedalus while we plan our improvements for bathroom accessibility. To reach that bathroom, exit the ramp and turn left on Bow St, at the next building (Daedalus) use their accessible entrance and their restroom will be on the right. More information at: democracycenter.org/accessibility. Contact [email protected]
or 617 492 8855 as needed
2. Service Animals are welcome at this event.
3. For Deaf/HoH: we use the AVA app for live-transcription of our meetings if needed by members. If you think you will need this accomodation, please reach out to us at [email protected]
ahead of time.
4. Meetings are conducted in spoken English sitting in a circle/square.
5. If you need more information or accomodations, please email [email protected]
Feel free to bring your own dinner or something to share!
We are in the Rosa Parks room. See democracycenter.org for details.
GUIDELINES, GOALS, AND POLICIES: